Sunday, July 18, 2010

RIP Mark Haskell


RIP Mark Haskell

Mark died yesterday afternoon when his plane crashed on takeoff. He was a wonderful family man, I had the privilege of caring for Alison's pregnancies and delivering two of his three children. He and his wife and family live just down the road from me. We see each other all the time around town and walking and playing with the kids. He and his wife, Alison, became one of my favorite patients, we just really connected. He loved to fly, he was a part of the Brunswick Naval Air Station Airshows with his YAK-52 named "Lizzy-Lou" for his daughter. He will be sorely missed.

Here is an article from yesterday, and another from today.

6 comments:

Emily said...

I am sorry for your loss and for his family's.

Liz Ditz said...

Please accept my condolences for your loss,and that of his family.

nandsmommy said...

Sorry for the loss of your friend! I feel just awful for his wife and kiddos. Hugs!

storkdok said...

I went to the funeral parlor yesterday 15 minutes after the first of two "viewings" (it is closed casket), so I could see Alison and the kids. It was already so full it took half an hour to get to Alison. There are people from Canada and all over the USA coming.

Alison is strong for her kids. We spoke briefly (long ago we both thought we might never be able to have children for different reasons, but we shared the dream of having kids and then the absolute joy and almost miracle of having not just one, but 3 for her and 2 for me!), she is still in shock, I think, things like this don't sink in for a while. We are going to get together with the kids in a couple weeks so we can really talk.

I did get to tell Mark Jr., who is 12 yrs, how absolutely amazed and proud his dad was when he was born! There was a lovely picture of his dad holding him right after he was born! The look of wonder on Mark's face is what I remember and was captured in the photo.

When I have driven by the house, I see a half finished playhouse/shed. I am going to talk to her about that, I know a lot of folks who will finish it for her.

The funeral is today, I'm going half an hour early to get a seat, and bringing a box of tissues.

Club 166 said...

Sorry to hear about your and the family's loss.

It's always especially hard when a young person with kids dies.

Joe

Justthisguy said...

May he rest in peace, and I send my most earnest condolences to his friends and family. Co-incidentally, I am listening to "Eagle Squadron" by Kenneth Alford at this very moment!