Saturday, February 21, 2009

Evidence of Harm: DAN! practioners and parents of autistic children

A recent post by Orac on Mercury in vaccines as a cause of autism and ASD: A failed hypothesis brought out the best in the anti-vaxxer crowd (sarcasm). Although it is repost, it is appropriate because of the recent findings in the Autism Omnibus Test Cases. The Special Masters in the first three cases which were dismissed wrote that the petitioners' physicians and experts had "gross medical misjudgement". That is about as close they could come to saying what we in the medical community already knew, that they committed malpractice and are basically incompetent. They were especially harsh on Dr. J. Jeffrey Bradstreet. Kathleen Seidel provides the transcripts of this in her post Autism Treatment in the Evidence Gap.

I was appalled reading the "autism treatment" at what the young boy, described as "C" from the Snyder vs. HHS decision, had to endure. Over a period of more than eight years, Dr. J. Jeffrey Bradstreet subjected this boy to numerous invasive tests, including several Lumbar Punctures, blood draws, urine tests, and numerous non-standard tests that were not approved by the FDA and/or were preformed outside of the USA. He had numerous dubious "autism treatments" that were not supported by the medical evidence as valid treatments (the diagnoses were not valid and neither was the medical reasoning behind them), including many dietary supplements (some with severe side effects), IV secretin, IV Imunoglobulin therapy (a long and painful process), IV chelation (with severe side effects), HBOT (noted but not detailed), predinisolone (steroid), antibiotics, antifungals, and antivirals, and referral for colonoscopy with biopsy.

This young boy was tortured. As a physician I consider this abuse. And this was in my mind as I read Orac's post and the responses. Several persistent and virulent anti-vaxxers would not concede that the evidence does not support vaccines as the cause of autism. Then someone, HCN I believe, dug up what one parent, Kevin Champagne, put his son through, here:

Diane wrote; "How long have you been living it? And what are your work hours"?

Well Diane I'm not sure why you made this personal but I will tell you how long.

Diane, I have been living it for 5 years. My son is 7 and was diagnosed at 2.

What are my work hours? You must assume that because I'm the father that I'm not at home or not "living it" because I'm at work all day?

Diane, my work hours are usually 14-16 hours per day but only 4 days a week.

Trust me Diane, I've lived it. I flew with my son to North Carolina for bi-weekly IV chelation treatments for one year while he screamed and disrupted the entire plane. One time we were on a 5 hour ground hold at Newark airport and I thought I was going to lose my mind. I helped hold him down over the last 5 years through countless blood draws while he screamed at the top of his lungs. I went through 30 straight days of HBOT treatments with him while he screamed and scratched my face until I was bleeding.

I took an entire summer off through the Family Medical Leave Act when my son was first diagnosed so I could be home to rub transdermal chelation on him 2 times per day and watch and listen to him scream through ABA therapy.

I have been to at least 12 different autism conferences and my son has been a patient of the following doctors over the last 5 years; Hardy (6 months), Krigsman (for an autism gut study), Buttar (2 years), the Geiers(6 months), and Charles Ray Jones (6 months - present). All of which included long plane rides and or car rides with more hitting, scratching, and screaming.

Diane, I have definitely lived it and I'm still living it and no matter how many hours Governor Palin spends on the campaign trail I believe she is also living it and she has a tough road ahead and hopefully while she is our VP.

And while I'm airing it out here, in my opinion, mercury DOES NOT cause autism ...low pH blood levels do. Research it. Some unvaccinated kids are being diagnosed with autism. Children on special diets most likely improve because their pH levels go up.

Take ten minutes and watch this YouTube video about low pH and how it affects the body;
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uJJA9sWT6Qg

Mr. Champagne didn't "listen" to his own son. He persisted in torturing, abusing his own son. And I know there are many, many others out there who subject their children to the same abuse.

Much of the finger should be pointed at the quacks, like Dr. Bradstreet, for pushing this pseudoscience, but the parents have some responsibility here. Wake up! How much more evidence will it take to convince you that vaccines (and other crazy theories like pH changes) are not responsible for autism? Why are you still subjecting your children to meaningless and painful treatments?

7 comments:

EdR77203 said...

And then there were the medical doctors with the theory that seizures caused autism. They wanted me to subject my son to sleep deprivation to see if he suffered seizures. If they thought that seizures induced autism then why would they be seeking to induce the seizures that they think caused the autistic symptoms in the first place?

I declined any such diagnostics/treatement.

storkdok said...

Seizure disorders are associated at a higher rate with autism, they don't cause autism. For any child that is suspected of having seizures, the diagnostic process is either a 1-2 hour sleep deprivation EEG (during sleep is the best time to see the seizures, so they want the child to sleep during the study), or a 24 hour EEG (during which the child sleeps and the seizures are more evident).

Seizures in any child will cause interference with their functioning. Once the seizures are under control, the child can function much better, will be able to learn much better, autistic or not. Some autistic children with seizures located in the speech area of the brain are able to speak after treating the seizures. Depending upon the location, there are different functions which can improve significantly with treatment of a seizure disorder.

We tried the sleep deprivation EEG twice, he couldn't sleep and was taking the electrodes off. So we did the 24 hour EEG, which he tolerated very well. He has an abnormal EEG, but the several small spikes they saw didn't add up to a minute overall in the 24 hours, so they said it wasn't necessary to treat, as it isn't interfering with his functioning. We did it because we suspected the petit mal type seizures, which are harder to diagnose, of course, than the grand mal. His neurologist thinks he could progress to a seizure disorder someday, especially as a teenager, since he had some abnormal activity on the EEG.

EdR77203 said...

I agree that seizures do not cause autism. But at the time it was felt by these practicianers that they did. It was one of many failed theories surrounding autism and its causes.

What got me at the time was that if you feel that seizures cause autism (or its symptoms) why would you want to induce them?

storkdok said...

I have not heard of that particular theory, but essentially you would want to unmask the seizures so you can get the diagnosis of a seizure disorder so that the individual can be properly treated. The risks of untreated seizures can be severe, with injury resulting, even death, if the person was in water or fell down. So the thought is that intentionally sleep depriving the person so that you can unmask the seizures is less risky than allowing them to go untreated. You have to have some symptoms that would indicate a higher probability that there might be a seizure disorder.

EdR77203 said...

David has never suffered seizures or shown any signs of seizures. Fortunately, the theory that autism happens because of hidden seizures has died a quiet death.

My personal theory is that autism or at least some of its symptoms are caused by leakage through the blood gut and the blood brain barrier. It fits what happened with David and David has advanced under treatment with this in mind. On the other hand, there are two more things that I can say about this, first that this like all theories has to be proven; second is that I am comfortable with the idea that I am probably wrong.

Perky Skeptic said...

I can't remember if I told you this story or not, Storkdok, so I'll tell it again. :) When my son was growing from birth through the toddler stage, my MIL kept after us to get him tested for Asperger's syndrome, and I kept declining. "His behaviors and development are perfectly normal. He's just exactly like me and my brother at his age."

So, yeah, I'm pretty darn confident my son's condition is genetic. ;) Hey, he fits right in with the rest of his family, LOL!

Club 166 said...

"...Much of the finger should be pointed at the quacks, like Dr. Bradstreet, for pushing this pseudoscience, but the parents have some responsibility here. ..."

Thank you for saying what has to be said.

Yes, there is a LOT of blame to be placed at the feet of those who fleece money from misinformed parents.

But to continually submit your child to what amounts to torture without any benefit goes beyond absurd. It's beyond neglect. It's abuse, pure and simple.

Joe